Retro Flashback – August Newsletter 2000
I don’t know about you guys, but I’m pretty much over winter. In fact the sooner we get rid of August, the Ekka, and the Westerlies (flatten the surf) the better off we will all be. For now though, clean all the old wax off your board, get a new set of boardshorts and be patient because Spring is just around the corner. And here is some reading to keep ya busy for a good five minutes…
How was that shark attack last week in Sth Africa?? Pretty happy they don’t make them like that around here. It was huge!! I suppose we are lucky that they don’t like the taste of humans. Incident like that one sure supports that theory, as the shark just took one bight and ran off. Hate to have seen the video otherwise.
3 WEEK SWELL
I know that over the last couple of weeks the surf has been pretty bad, but how was the 3 weeks before that. For the first 20 days of July the surf was blatantly GOING OFF. I mean everywhere(up, down, over, nth NSW), everywhere was good. Really good!! If for some reason you missed it, do not forgive yourself.
Many people ask me about the process of shaping a surfboard. Well here is a rough guide…
- Using a template mark out the planshape, incorporating the required rocker.
- Cut out the planshape and smooth out all bumps.
- Plane the bottom of the blank down to 1/8” more than the required thickness.
- Level and flatten the bottom of blank. No twists or lumps.
- Plane a thin cut off the deck and make sure the foil is distributed evenly from tail to nose. Clean up deck.
- Roll the deck.
- Pull the rail down from the deck to required line. Then pull the rail up from the bottom to the same line.
- Put in concaves and clean up board with thin gauze or pad.
- Next month Glassing!!
Kirra Boardriders held their first comp of the year with Primitive Boards 2nd (Brad Lancaster ) and 3rd (Chris Boyle) in the Opens. In the Juniors Ben Hope came 2nd to Corey Ziems who also won the Opens. Get him guys!!
WORLD TOUR SHIFT
The Association of Professional Surfing has changed next years World Tour. Instead of starting here in Qld, the first event will be held in February at Pipeline in Hawaii and the season will finish at Tresles in California in September.
Western Australia’s Jake Patterson defeated Peterson Rosa at Jeffreys Bay last month. Then at Huntington Beach a pathetic Mick Campbell beat a pathetic Sunny Garcia in pathetic surf.
1st Sunny Garcia
2nd Luke Egan
3rd Cory Lopez
4th Mick Campbell
5th Flavio Padaratz
TOP 44 COMP
Amela and Cameron Walker both won T’s.