Ginger is an ancient wonder spice and is given the status of a “natural medicine chest” in ancient Ayurvedic medicine. That’s because this wonder spice has time-tested, digestion-friendly properties, in addition to its numerous other health benefits.
On millions of dining tables in India, you’ll see matchsticks of fresh ginger that have turned a soft pink from being soaked in lemon juice and salt: a zingy accompaniment to any cooked meal.
Let’s give this knobbly root a closer look.
10 Terrific Benefits of Ginger
- Haven’t been feeling hungry? Eat a little fresh ginger just before a meal to inspire your appetite and activate your digestive juices.
- Eating ginger improves the absorption and assimilation of essential nutrients in the body.
- Ginger clears the ‘microcirculatory channels’ of the body, including clearing your sinuses which can flare up seasonally or during colder months.
- Feeling airsick or nauseous? Ginger can help – preferably tossed in a little honey.
- Can’t stop the toot-a-thon? Gas—oops—guess what?! Ginger helps reduce flatulence!
- Tummy moaning and groaning under cramps? Munch on ginger.
- Reeling under joint pain? Ginger, with its anti-inflammatory properties,can bring relief. Float some ginger essential oil in your bath to help aching muscles and joints.
- Just had surgery? Chewing ginger post-operation can help overcome nausea.
- Stir up some ginger tea to get rid of throat and nose congestion. And when there’s a nip in the air, the warming and healing benefits of this tasty tea are even greater!
- Bedroom blues? Try adding a gingery punch to a bowl of soup. (Psst…the Ayurvedictexts credit ginger with aphrodisiac properties)
3 Ways To Use Ginger
1. Spicy Fragrant Ginger Rice
Cook basmati rice. When you take the lid off the pan, quickly stir in finely chopped garlic, ginger, green chilies and fresh cilantro leaves—the burst of flavor and fragrance will drive your senses crazy with desire!
2. Ginger In Your Tea
‘Grate’ idea: grate some ginger root and put it in your tea or through your juicer. Our cleansing and healing Ginger and Turmeric Tea is amazing for you! You could also try our super simple Ginger Lemon Detox Drink for a quick pick me up.
3. Gingery Dessert
Try our delicious Ginger Slice with loads of beneficial and healing ingredients – a favorite in our Food Matters office!
Did you know that ginger is in our top 11 Natural remedies to relieve head-aces? Find Out More Here
Can’t get enough of ginger Check out this Carrot, Orange & Ginger Soup!
Double up the healing properties of ginger with vitamin C in a Raw Dessert!